Sunday, November 3, 2013

First Post - The Agenda

Welcome to the very first post of Investment Explorer. As the name suggest, I am still exploring for ways to invest well and earn a decent return. I am aiming for a annual return of above 10% and will explore and study investment products such as stock, bonds, unit trust, ETF, REIT and business trust for a start. I will not start with derivative since I do not have the necessary experience or knowledge, nor do I have the time to monitor the market.

Some background information, I am a recent grad holding a Degree in Economic and Finance and am working in the financial sector. But I think paper knowledge is only as useful if it can result in a higher return in investment. I also believe that it is not a lack of knowledge that matters but personal self-discipline in investment.

Another areas of interest is retirement planning, as many people living in Singapore will know it is really expensive to retire in Singapore. Some say that to retire in Singapore, one needs to work. Doesn't sounds like a good proposal to me, so I hope to start investing early and let the magic of compounding works for my benefit.

Currently I am putting aside some emergency money before I start investing. Some people advise to have sufficient insurance and emergency money of at least 6 months of current net salary before one consider investing. I agreed to this reason since insurance will cover any major losses with a small monthly outlay of money. Also it can be considered as a form of forced saving (thought I think there are other better financial products), usually the accumulated cash value cum bonus after year 20th will covered all the premium paid. So it is worthwhile to invest for the long term for insurance.

For the emergency money, I am only a few months shy of starting my investment journey. So I will have a few months to do my homework and share with the readers here. In the meantime I am also working on making money with my blog by using Google Adsense and Nuffnang. It would be nice for someone to pay for my kopi once in a while.

Finally, thank you for dropping by. I hope to see you often here and I wish you all the best in your investment and that you can retire well and happy.

 Take care now.

No comments:

Post a Comment